Unified Learning Environment for Analytics & Data (ULEAD)
ULEAD is a cloud-based, secured, unified virtual environment, in which users can analyze and visualize data using select tools and datasets. It offers the UCLA Health community many benefits, including:
- Enhanced data security
- Streamlined process for data access
- Reduced burden of data release approval as the data will remain in a secure environment
- Access to compute resources that are more powerful than users’ local laptops or desktops
ULEAD will be made available to the UCLA Health community in multiple phases. The first phase of ULEAD will focus on researchers’ analytical needs, and will allow the following activities:
- Ability to provide data to researchers in ULEAD (flat files)
- Ability to copy data provided by CTSI into a User Folder within ULEAD
- Ability to bring other data into ULEAD
- Ability to connect to approved data sources
- Ability to blend data from CTSI with other data sources. E.g. Cancer Registry, images, etc.
- Ability to load data into a database (Microsoft Access)
- Ability to analyze and visualize data
- Limited ability to develop, train and test ML models
- Ability to summarize results and prepare reports/graphs
- Ability to share summarized data with the UCLA Health research community, within ULEAD
Phase one of the ULEAD platform will offer each user the features listed below, and will support 250 concurrent users.
- Virtual Desktop: Compute: 4 CPUs (10~ GHz), RAM: 32 GB. Can be increased on a case-to-case basis
- Database: MS Access
- Software: Python, R, SQL Server, SAS
- Applications: Anaconda, Jupyter Notebook, R Studio, Visual Studio, SSMS, MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access), Pycharm, PowerBI, Adobe Acrobat, SAS, MATLAB.
- For licensed software such as SAS and MATLAB, users must bring their own license
- Personal Storage: User Folder within ULEAD. 50GB+ storage
- Collaboration: Team Folders within ULEAD
- Data Transfer In & Out: Data Transfer Folders within ULEAD
- Internet access: Websites approved by OHIA
- Interfaces: Allowed with approved databases and applications
New Software & Library Requests
ULEAD already has various software applications and libraries requested by Researchers as part of Phase one. If users require any new software or library to be installed in ULEAD, they must open a Service ticket in ServiceNow requesting for the software or library installations. In the description of the ticket, they must mention that the Service ticket be assigned to ‘OHIA Self Service Analytics’. OHIA staff will coordinate the installation of new software or libraries in ULEAD on a monthly basis, usually towards the end of each month. On a case-to case basis, OHIA may expedite this process based on business need. Service requests can be submitted by clicking this link: Request New Software in ULEAD.
Some licensed software such as SAS and MATLAB cannot be provided as an App in ULEAD, they have to be installed separately on a users’ ULEAD Desktops. Users requesting such software must bring their own licenses. If users are not sure if a software they are requesting is licensed or not, they can send an email to the ‘Self Service Analytics’ team at: SelfServiceAnalytics@mednet.ucla.edu
ULEAD Access Provisioning
Any individual who wants access to ULEAD must open a Service ticket in ServiceNow requesting for the access. In the description of the ticket, they must mention that the Service ticket be assigned to ‘OHIA Self Service Analytics’. Managers and Department heads can submit a single ticket on behalf of multiple users in their teams/departments.
The requestor(s) must mention the following in the ticket for each user:
- Name of the user(s) and usernames
- Software each user requires to work in ULEAD. (Please refer to page 1 for the list of software available in ULEAD)
- Whether they prefer a Windows or Linux Machine
- If they already have access to DDM (Discovery Data Repository Data Mart)
Access to ULEAD will be provided within 2-3 business days from the time the request is received by OHIA Self Service Analytics team. Service requests can be submitted by clicking this link: Request Access to ULEAD.
Every ULEAD user will be provided with a ULEAD user guide. This guide will have instructions on how to effectively work in the ULEAD environment.
All ULEAD issues must be reported to the Help Desk. Depending on the nature of the issue, Help Desk will either assist you in resolving the issue, or route it to the appropriate team who can help you with the issue.
For any other questions about ULEAD, users can send an email to the Self Service Analytics team at SelfServiceAnalytics@mednet.ucla.edu